Sunday, April 6, 2014

Hi there, I'm slightly high strung

I have recently become unemployed, and I am displeased. I didn't quit, and I wasn't fired, it's just.... Let me see if I can explain:

There are many positive aspects of being an Army wife. I have gotten to live in parts of the country I never dreamed I would so much as get to visit; I've climbed mountains, gone crabbing in the Puget Sound, been in the Atlantic ocean within a month of being in the Pacific ocean, shooed black bears from hiking trails more times than I can remember. I can host a party for twenty with an hour's notice or redecorate any house I step foot in without having to go to the store for supplies. I can make new best friends in under fifteen minutes.
But one thing they don't mention? It's extremely difficult to find and keep a full time position when you're moving across the country every few years. This is only my second major PCS (primary change of station, aka move from one post to another), and I've had a different job every year since I graduated college.
As annoying as that is - and I'm sure I'll have more to say about this as my job hunt continues - there is something that can compound that frustration significantly: not having had the opportunity to take those fifteen minutes to make a new friend to spend some of that spare time with. So here I am: frustrated because I have no job and no friends here. To make matters worse, I can't get a job where we live now because we are moving again in two months. Don't mind my freak out, having daily life derailed twice in six months is enough to drive anyone crazy.
Another thing they don't mention is how difficult it is for a control freak like myself to make plans. We are moving in two months, but none of the houses that are currently on the rental market for our new location have June occupancy. Everything is immediate occupancy.

On the bright side, I do have some hobbies to keep me from going completely insane while I apply for jobs (so far I've applied for an average of fifteen jobs a week for the last three weeks... to the response of crickets). I mostly knit and sew, I run on occasion, and I'm sure I'll have some Pinterest-worthy DIY projects that will be attempted as we move into our new location and I need to decorate. I may be talking to myself, but as a servant to two demanding house cats, I'm pretty much used to that.
Some time tomorrow or Tuesday I'll be back to get my to-do list written out. I have at least three quilts planned for... soon... and a fair amount of knitting works in progress.
See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment