Monday, September 1, 2014

Mt Rogers, Virginia

Good friends of ours invited us to go camping over Labor Day weekend -
they're some of our favorite people,
and we've loved watching their children grow over the last five years. 
It's so fun to think of how different the kids were when we first met them: 
Their oldest was only six weeks old!!

While we were there,
Husband and I took a quick hike along a few miles of the Appalachian Trail to see the summit of Mt Rogers, the highest peak in Virginia.


The hike started off with beautiful views!


Wild ponies at Massey Gap.


Picking up the Appalachian Trail!
You can see the white blazes that mark the trail,
all 2,000 miles (give-or-take).


There were so many beautiful vistas,
and climbing up a few extra feet earned one an even better vantage point.


About 75% of my hikes with my husband have this view.
He turns around to check on me every half mile or so,
more frequently if we are headed uphill and he knows I'm going to have trouble breathing.


Made it!


The view from the summit may not be the most spectacular mountain top I've ever seen,
but it's nice to block-check a state's high point.
If you're keeping track, that's two high points for my husband - Mt Raininer and Mt Rogers - and one for me.

Still - I've summited three mountains now, which is a nice starting point.

No comments:

Post a Comment